Pages

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Nail Confessions

I have a love hate relationship with my nails. I have to confess, I am a nail bitter. I know I know gross right? I just can't help my self sometimes. I try hard and I am successful for periods of time but then something happens that gets my nerves all rattled up and there they go! I have bitten my nails ever since I can remember. I never had beautiful looking nails as a kid or teen and it sucked because I was embarrassed. I remember my parents rubbing hot peppers on my nails to help me stop, but hey I'm Mexican so needless to say they were just seasoning my fingers for me LOL! OK sorry probably not a good image right? Anyway (when I was in seventh grade) without my parents permission on a vacation to see my aunt and cousins in Chicago, Illinois I visited a Nail Shop with my Cousin Nora and we got our nails done together. I used up a big portion of my vacation spending allowance and I didn't care because I was so ashamed of my ugly nails. I was so excited afterwards and they looked so amazing! I got a beautiful pink, blue and purple floral airbrushed design on them and they made my hands look longer and more girly. When I got back home to California my mom was so mad I thought she was going to take me to get them removed! She didn't but she said that I wouldn't be allowed to get them done again. To the point, for two-three weeks I was unable to bite my nails and got in the habit of not biting due to the acrylics. So after the acrylics came off my own nails were semi better looking because the nail beds had a full nail on them. That was a major improvement. Of course after time passed my habits came back and there I was with crappy looking nails again. So when I got to high school my mom allowed me to get my nails done here and there but only for special events. Once I started working I was able to finance my own little pleasure so my nails got done more often. As many of you know getting your nails done can be expensive so I stopped getting my nails done about six years ago.

I have worked really hard on my will power to stop the nail biting and have been successful without the help of acrylics. I have grown beautiful looking nails and I am extremely proud of my self; because I was able to grow my own nails I also got to grow my Nail Polish collection. I like to play around with my nail polish and love to change up the color week to week. I will have to share with you my collection at a later date. Unfortunately at this time my nails look like crap. When I get nervous I start biting my nails. My husband and I like the show on TV called The Walking Dead. I loved that show but found that it was causing me anxiety and my stomach became quite upset. Then there went my nails. The nerves while watching that show are too much for me. So I stopped watching it, but I find my eyes wandering towards the TV when my husband is watching it and then without thinking I my hands are in my mouth.

What I do to bring my nails back to their beautiful appearance is I pamper my hands with an at home Manicure and I make it a point of using hand cream at work every time after I wash my hands every time. At night I apply cuticle oil to my nails and cuticles and then I apply a generous amount of Vaseline and wear aloe infused fuzzy gloves. This helps keep the moisture and Vaseline on my hands and not all over my sheets and most important it keeps it off my face (Don't want pimples). Wearing the gloves also helps so I can't get to my nails, therefore I can't bite. Putting on my gloves every evening helps me get in the habit of not biting my nails. Another thing I do to help my self out is take a Biotin Supplement everyday. Biotin is a dietary supplement that helps with hair and nail growth and its good for your skin. I purchased my Biotin Supplement bottle at Walmart, it comes with 150 soft gels. The directions say that adults should take 1-5 daily with a meal however I only take one or two a day.

So as you know now from this post I am working on my nail recovery. I will post a picture of my nails at their current state. Please be nice, I just shared with you one of the things that embarrassed me as a kid. Soon my nails will be looking amazing again and will show you. I do have pictures of my nails on my Instagram @ahlixcervantes if you want to see. Until next time remember to Always Sparkle.


No comments:

Post a Comment